Buffalo, N.Y. -- The University of Pittsburgh at Bradford women's basketball team stuck with the D'Youville Spartans through 3 quarters but were outscored by 9 in the final period leading to a 73-59 loss.
- The Panthers got off to a hot start, as they began the contest on a 9-2 run. Jasmine Miller got things started with 7 quick points. She hit a three on the second possession of the game and then drove inside to make a layup. After a Spartan free throw, she continued the run, hitting a mid-range jumper on a pass from Jenna Hicks.
- The Panthers used more strong play both in the paint and from the outside as they opened up a 10 point lead 7 minutes in. La'Shyra Williams entered the game off the bench and made a quick impact, scoring three straight baskets for Pitt-Bradford. The rally was capped on a three from the top of the key by Shaelyn Snipes.
- In the final minute of the quarter, Ashley Hall drained a shot from deep but saw it quickly answered in the final seconds by D'Youville to send the game to the end of the first with the Panthers leading by 5.
- The Panther offense struggled to restart in the second, as the Spartans began the quarter on a 9-0 run to take the lead. The tacked on to their lead after a Miller jumper and a free throw from Williams, scoring 6 more to move the lead to 7 with 5:27 to go in the half.
- The Pitt-Bradford defense locked down over the final 5 minutes of the first half, shutting out the Spartans as they climbed back into the game. Miller hit two more jumpers and Daizjah Brown hit a clutch mid-range shot to get the Panthers within 1 point. The Brown jumper would be the final offensive action of the half, as both teams were unable to score over the final 2 minutes, sending the game to halftime with D'Youville leading 31-30.
- The third quarter was a back and forth affair that saw 5 ties and 2 lead changes that ultimately ended in a 5 point Spartan lead heading to the fourth.
- Following a slow start to the half that saw only one basket for D'Youville over the first 2:30 of play, the Panthers scored 5 straight to regain the lead. Jenna Hicks made the most of a second chance opportunity to get Pitt-Bradford on the board in the 3rd, and Shirleah Ragin followed that with a transition three that put her team up 2.
- Ragin would finish the quarter with 9 points as she attempted to keep the Panthers even with their opponents but ultimately saw the Spartans outscore Pitt-Bradford 7-2 in the last minute of the quarter.
- Despite a slow start, the Panthers were able to cut the lead to 3 points with 7:30 to go on a Williams jumper and two Ragin free throws.
- The Panthers struggled to score against the Spartans from that point on, as they were only able to muster two Snipes layups and a Taylor Sutryk jumper over the final six minutes of play while their opponents pushed the game out of reach.
- Jasmin Miller and La'Shyra Williams had near-identical statlines in the tough loss.
- Miller scored 15 on 6 of 10 from the field, including 1-3 from beyond the arc and 2-2 from the line. She grabbed 5 rebounds, dished out 2 assists and blocked 1 shot.
- Williams also finished with 15 on 6-10 shooting. She made 3 of 5 from the charity stripe, grabbed 6 rebounds and also had a block.
- Shirleah Ragin was the third Panther to finish in double figures, scoring 11 points, all of them coming in the 2nd half.
- Jenna Hicks grabbed 10 rebounds for Pitt-Bradford.
The loss moves the Panthers' record to 2-12 overall and 2-7 in AMCC play. They will return to action on Saturday when they travel to Mount Aloysius. The game is scheduled to begin at 4:00 p.m.