Buffalo, N.Y. -- The University of Pittsburgh at Bradford softball team brought their regular season to a close on Thursday, defeating Hilbert College 13-2.
- After a scoreless first, the Panthers used a two-out rally in the 2nd to jump out to a 5-0 lead. KT Marx grounded a single up the middle and was able to take second on a bobble in the outfield. She was able to open the scorer a batter later as Rachel Przybysz lined a single into right field. Chloe Cordova followed this with a run-scoring double to right and then was able to add to the score when Kindra Wessels hit a triple into the gap in left-center.
- Wessels was able to scamper home on a wild pitch to score the fourth run of the inning. Faith McLaughlin singled up the middle to restart the rally and Daytona Wentzel hit a triple to right, bringing McLaughlin all the way around to score.
- Wessels, who started the game in the pitchers' circle, shut down the Hawks in the 2nd and saw her offense provide a 6th run in the third. MAdison Camp led off the inning by drawing a walk and then moved to second on an Imani Jackson single. Both runners advanced on a groundout to third and then Przybysz hit a second grounder in the infield which brought in Camp.
- Hilbert was able to cut into the leadoff of Wessels in the third, as they scored two runs on a single, triple, and sacrifice fly.
- Pitt-Bradford answered in the 4th, scoring four more runs. Faith McLaughlin reached on an error with one out and then moved to third as Wentzel dropped a hit into center and hustled into 2nd base for a double. Lexi Peters delivered a sacrifice fly to right and Camp singled to left-center to put the Panthers up 8-2. After Jackson's second base hit of the day, Marx lined a triple into right field to score both runners and push the lead to 8.
- Ashley Stein replaced Wessels in the 4th and worked around a triple to put a zero on the scoreboard.
- The Panthers tacked on 3 more runs in the 5th. Chloe Cordova recorded her second extra-base hit of the day as she tripled into right-center, and was able to score on the play as the Hilbert throw into third got away. The Panthers loaded the bases with walks to Stein and Camp and a single by pinch hitter Paige Wertheimer. Another pinch hitter, Hannah Fisher served a single into right, bringing in two more runs.
- Stein allowed two singles in the 5th but was able to strand the runners as she finished the game with two strikeouts and a fly ball to right.
Kindra Wessels picked up the win in the run-rule shortened contest, allowing 2 runs in 4 hits in 3.0 innings pitched. She struck out 4. Ashley Stein allowed 3 hits in two scoreless relief innings, striking out four batters.
The Panthers pounded out 14 hits in the game with 8 of 9 starters picking up a base hit. Daytona Wentzel led the way, going two for two with two extra-base hits, a run scored, an RBI, and a walk. Chloe Cordova also had two extra-base hits, finishing 2 for 3 with 2 runs scored, an RBI, a double, and a triple. Imani Jackson and KT Marx also picked up multi-hit games.
The Panthers finish the regular season 11-22 with a 7-8 record in AMCC play, putting them in the 5th seed for the upcoming postseason tournament. The AMCC Championship Tournament begins tomorrow, Friday, May 6th at 10:00 a.m. The Panthers will take on the 4th seeded Medaille Mavericks in the second contest of the day.